Dolce de Leche Ice-Cream
Easy at-home ice cream!
With the warm weather upon us, my ice-cream cravings have kicked into overdrive and my guess is, I’m not the only one! So I’ve created this easy, at-home recipe for one of my very favourite ice-cream flavours, Dolce de Leche, that will be sure to satisfy those cravings!
300 m Dolce de Leche
300 ml 2% Milk
5 Large egg yolks
1 Litre of 35 % cream
3/4 Cup granulated sugar
(1/2 for egg mixture & 1/4 for cream mixture)
1 Pinch of salt
1. In a medium saucepan, over low-medium heat, bring milk and dolce de leche to a simmer and remove from heat.
2. In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of granulated sugar.
3. While continuing to whisk, pour 1/4 cup of hot milk mixture into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
4. While continuing to whisk, pour an additional 1/2 cup of hot milk mixture into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
5. While continuing to whisk, pour the remaining hot milk mixture into the egg mixture until fully incorporated.
*Note: If you add the hot milk mixture into the egg mixture too quickly, your eggs will curdle and your ice-cream will not turn out.
6. Pour the entire mixture back into a medium saucepan and cook over low heat until mixture reaches 174 degrees Fahrenheit.
7. Remove mixture from heat and set aside to cool completely.
8. Using a stand mixer (hand-mixer and whisk works as well), beat together the cream and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to form stiff peaks (approximately 3-5 minutes).
9. Gently fold 1/2 of the whipped cream into your mixture until lightly incorporated then gently fold in the remaining 1/2 of the whipped cream into the mixture until fully incorporated.
10. Divide ice-cream mixture into 2 loaf pans. Cover with plastic wrap and allow to chill in the freezer for a minimum of 8 hours.
11. Remove from freezer and enjoy!
*Ice-cream may be stored in the freezer for up to a week in a storage container.
The best thing about ice-cream is that it is so customizable! There’s always an array of toppings to choose from to make each dish feel like a different experience. I’ve chosen to top this recipe off with some simple pecans to let the dolce de leche flavours speak for itself but feel free to get creative with your topping choices!
I would love to know what your favourite ice-cream flavour and topping choice is! Also, make sure to tag me on Instagram to show me your re-creation of this simple, yet delicious recipe!
Thank-you so much for stopping by and be sure to subscribe to notifications so you don’t miss out on any of my original recipes!
Until next time,
Clay Smith, Claycooks