Quick & Easy One Pot Meal!
Having a child and a full-time work schedule, we definitely appreciate the need for quick and easy meals during the week but, that doesn’t mean you can’t still enjoy a flavourful, cooked from scratch, meal. So we’ve created this sausage orzo recipe to be quick and fuss-free that’s just as delicious as any meal that takes hours to make.
2 cups of Orzo
3 Mild Italian Sausages
2 Onions, sliced
1 Garlic Clove, roughly chopped
1 Cup of Passata (strained tomatoes)
2 Cups of Chicken Stock
1 1/3 Cups of Water
1 handful of Fresh Basil, roughly chopped
1 Tbsp of Olive Oil
1 Generous Pinch of Salt
- In a large, lightly oiled pan, stir together onions and a generous pinch of salt.
- Cut sausages into 1/2″ thick pieces and add to pan.
- Cook onions and sausage over medium heat until onions become caramelized.
- Add in the garlic and continue to cook over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add in 1 cup of chicken stock and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for an additional 3 minutes.
- Add orzo to pan and stir.
- Immediately add in the remaining chicken stock, water and passata and stir.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 6-7 minutes, or until orzo is al dente, stirring once every minute.
- Add in basil and olive oil and stir together.
- Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
* If orzo becomes too dry during the cooking process, simply add in an additional 1/4 cup of water.
This dish can be served as a side but is definitely hearty enough to hold its own as a main course. In only 15-20 minutes, you can have the whole family fed and be out the door for that hockey practice or singing lesson without compromising on taste!
What do you usually do when you’re strapped for time to feed your family? Let me know in the comments below! Also, make sure to tag me on Instagram to show me your re-creation of this recipe!
Thank-you so much for stopping by and be sure to subscribe to notifications so you don’t miss out on any of my original recipes!
Until next time,
Clay Smith, Claycooks